Monday, March 15, 2010

My Naive Thoughts Starting my Business

Hey Beauties,

Today I'm really living up to the tag line of this blog "A Day in The Life of a Beauty Entrepreneur". I'm in the process of re-branding and I wanted to share my journey with you.

Five years ago after successfully creating products for friends, family & a few coworkers I was inspired to turn my passion for whipping up these products into a full time business. Only thing was like many entrepreneurs starting out for the first time. I had no clue what I was doing. I knew nothing about building a brand. In my naive mind I thought a company name, logo & website were all I needed. OK, you all can stop rolling on the floor with laughter, I get it. I now realize that's just the starter kit. It takes so much more to build a brand. For starters I never considered cost. I never considered the cost of labels & packaging, cost to design a logo & website, the cost to have photos taken by a professional photographer (Some Indies take fab product pics, unfortunately I can't) or the cost of purchasing raw materials needed to make my products in bulk. I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that I did not have a business plan. Truthfully, I had no plan at all and that's the first mistake I made. It took eight long & costly months for me to realize I needed a plan...duuuuhh!!

I hope you enjoyed today’s post. I’ll be posting more about my journey over the next few weeks. Don't forget to leave your feedback we would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: