Saturday, March 8, 2008

La Reina de Salsa........Celia Cruz



If you are a regular reader of this blog you may have noticed I recently added a new section called Classic Beauty Icons. This is my tribute to women I believe have set standards in beauty with their display of elegance and sophistication, however, thier contributions are often overlooked. I was inspired to write about one of my all time favorites, Celia Cruz, commonly referred to as La Riena de Salsa (The Queen of Salsa). Today as I was shuffling through my ipod looking for a song to energize me, my fingers landed on the right song La Vida es un Carnaval. Translated it means Life is a Carnival. The mere beat of the song alone makes me think I should be on the show Dancing with the Stars. Of course I would never subject myself to such embarrassment because I am actually the worst salsa dancer.

One of the things I love the most about Celia Cruz is that her music transcends all generations and like most good music you don’t have to understand the language to appreciate and feel the soul of the music.

I found this great tribute to her on youtube. I hope you enjoy it!!

Although this outstanding woman has passed on, her legacy lives on forever in her colorful body of music and lifetime of achievements.


Celia Cruz 1925 - 2003

No comments: