Sunday, January 18, 2009

MY view of Miracle on the Hudson

By now many of you may have heard about the miraculous landing of US Air flight 1549 on the Hudson River. Oddly enough I was in New Jersey headed back to the city when I first heard that a plane crashed into the Hudson River. The report was so vague at the time because there was limited information. When heard the news report I assumed it was a helicopter that crashed into the river, it never occurred to me that it could have been a commercial aircraft! Helicopters are part of the natural day to day in the city. If you spend an afternoon in Manhattan your sure to see or hear a few buzzing around. But, by the time I arrived at the Holland Tunnel more information had come in and it was confirmed that a US Air plane had crash-landed into the Hudson River.


Emergency Crews on the scene

My heart immediately fell to the pit of my stomach. I started to think of all the fatalities that might have occurred. As I came through the tunnel and made my way uptown on the west side highway I saw all the police and Emergency vehicles on the scene and I got my first glimpse of the aircraft, submerged, in the frigid water. It was the oddest sight. By that time it had been confirmed there were no fatalities. Yesterday was one of the coldest days. The temperature was about 23 degrees but it felt like 15 degrees. I can’t imagine what the actual temperature of the water must have been. As this story continues to play out I’m sure we’ll here the heroic stories!!

No comments: